|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||Home Built by Arthur E Hull|
|Place||Rancho Maria Louie, 9th & Tulip; NW|
Rancho Maria Louise was a 15-acre estate built in 1912 (some sources say 1908) by Mr. & Mrs. Arthur E. Hull. The home was a 15-room colonial with a reception hall, large living room with a massive fireplace, billiards room, sun room, dining room, den, breakfast room, butler's pantry, kitchen, servants' quarters, sink and broom closet, and two bathrooms. The second floor consisted of a library, hall, four large bedrooms, three connecting tile bathrooms, sewing room, large linen closet, trunk and storage room, sink and broom closet, two sleeping porches, and three open porches.
The grounds included a rose arbor, tea house, croquet court, 2 1/2 acres of tangerines, guaves, feijoa, louquats, figs, grapes, persimmons, and a two-acre vegetable garden, 3/4 acre of English walnuts, rose gardens, lauestina hedge, bungalow, circular drive, lodge garage, barn, corrals, laundry drying space, wood house, a eucalyptus grove, and a 200,000-gallon reservoir.
It is believed Mrs. Hull died in a fire in Chicago and the house was thus sold. It was located between Union Avenue (now Upas Street) on the west, on the south by Kansas Avenue (now 9th), and on the east by Tulip Street. No landscaping was completed when this photograph was taken.
In 1929, the Woolsey family bought the property. The property changed hands several times and burned to the ground somewhere in the mid-1930s. The property was broken into parcels in the late 1930s under the ownership of Martha Holander.
|Copyright||Escondido History Center|
Gardens & Yards