|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Place||South Tulip near 6th Avenue|
Haying crew on hillside above Tulip Street at about 6th Avenue. Man carrying a beer keg, flags on cook wagon. The Lehners owned the haying machine. Haying machines created bales of hay. Laborers would feed the hay into the machine and the machine would press the hay into bales. This mechanized hay baler was an improvement over the horse-drawn hay press in use since the mid-1800s.
George and Oscar Lehner bought a new full circle horse power baler in the summer of 1901. They also had a derrick wagon, large hay fork, double pulleu blocks and a long rope, with a team of horses to operate the outfit.
A roustabout wagon for hauling the wire, barrels of water and feeding racks for the horses, and the men's rolls of bedding, the groceries and water for the cook-wagon, and the portable wash bench.
"The wash bench with a mirror hung on the side of the cook-wagon enable the men to see if they had removed enough dirt from their faces to be recognized at the table.
As the the 4th of July drew near, the younger brother, Oscar, persuaded the men to work on the holiday by promising the special delivery of a ten gallon keg of beer, from San Diego.
The one picture shows the cook-wagon and men washing up. In the distance is a man approaching with the keg of beer. Flags fly on the cook-wagon."
|Event||Harvesting the Hay|
|Copyright||Escondido History Center|
Hatch, H. Paul